Friday, October 28, 2011

This Sunday: Carmen at La Scala, coming to a theater near you!

Okay, this is the first of two posts I will be sharing today.  The second will come after I have watched the Bolshoi Gala.  In the meantime, here is a brief look at what we can expect from La Scala's broadcast of Carmen, which we can see on Sunday at noon at the University of Miami's Cosford Cinema.  This production stars Anita Rachvelishvili, Jonas Kaufmann, Erwin Schrott, and Adriana Damato.  I really haven't heard much at all from Rachvelishvili, Schrott, or Damato yet, so I'm not sure what to expect from them.  Now, Kaufmann.  I know I am going to make some people upset, and I have yet to see him in a complete opera, but from what I've heard so far, I just don't like him.  I think he would have made a splendid baritone, but to me, as a tenor his voice sounds muffled.  I keep trying to see what everyone else seems to see in him, but I haven't found it yet.  I have heard, however, that he does a very good Don Jose, so I will reserve judgement until I have seen it.  In the meantime, here is Rachvelishvili singing the Habanera in Salerno.

No comments:

Post a Comment