Friday, May 4, 2012

I know I'm late, but..... A tribute to the winners of the Opera News Awards


Last weekend, Opera News Magazine celebrated five great contributors to the world of opera with its 7th Annual Opera News Awards.  The honorees included sopranos Karita Mattila and Anja Silja, baritones Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Peter Mattei, and director Peter Sellars.  While I would have loved to write a nice long piece about each one of them, a shortage of time renders that temporarily impossible.  So I will rather pay tribute to them here with samples of their works.

Karita Mattila has been wowing audiences since she won the first ever Cardiff Singer of the World competition in 1983.  Here she is in the Metropolitan Opera's recent production of Tosca.




Next up is Anja Silja, seen here in a 1968 performance of Fidelio.



Switching over to the men, we have another Cardiff winner, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, in his most recent portrayal of Giorgio Germont, which he just wrapped up at the Met earlier this week.



Next, Swedish baritone Peter Mattei gives us a taste of the lighter side of opera with his delightful rendition of Largo al factotum.



Finally, we have director Peter Sellars.  Normally, I would have posted a clip of his film of Don Giovanni, but seeing that I just posted it yesterday in an unrelated piece, I had to find something else.  So rather than showing another clip of something he directed, I decided to share a short interview that provides a bit of insight into his thought processes.



And there we have the five honorees of this year's Opera News Awards.  I hope you will join me in sending them a huge "Thank You" for everything they have put into their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment